Saturday 7 May 2016

Temple Lino Cut

I focused on capturing the foreground first as this was the hardest to get right with perspective and proportion. I was also wondering whether it could look effective to print with just the foreground cut out, and then add in the temple background for another overlaying print. However I want the temple background to be pale and white, atleast more so than the foreground... and it would not have been achieved this way as the background would have two layers of print. If I wanted to do this technique I should have cut the temple background first, then printed it in faint colours, then cut it out and printed the foreground. Too late for that now! But I can try to achieve a similar effect by preparing the stock first with some more colourful areas for where the foreground will print.
I wanted to add some texture with mark making so I used a really delicate, quick, short stroke to make a rugged wall of the house. (Surrounding the window). 
The gates and entrance wall (added in the background) were quite tricky to create without any errors. I am lucky that I have chosen lino cut because it is almost impossible to make it perfect- otherwise creating this lino cut would take me forever! The temple itself was made out of crushed shells and is a striking white intensely detailed looming building. Lino cut will allow me to create a simpler illustrated representation of this.

I am so glad that I have chosen Lino cutting as my specific media for this project because I find it really reflective of the DIY 'higgildy piggildy' architecture that I witnessed in India. The imperfect angles and lines go to reinforce and exaggerate these aspects of the buildings and shop fronts which juxtapose greatly to British architecture. 



No comments:

Post a Comment