Wednesday 18 May 2016

Positioning & Summative Statement

Throughout the duration of this project I have been taking on self initiated and self selected briefs which have all shown a keen interest in colour, line work and mark making, pattern and people. This has been through a broad range of mediums from print making to editorial illustrations. I have found my most enjoyable and most successful pieces to be those which combine research to form content with detailed and careful production methods, while still keeping a freedom to work into the work spontaneously. I think this last point is what I enjoy most about art and the reason I chose to study illustration - the expression and the freedom in art. However this also is probably why the majority of my briefs were self initiated, collaborative or individual client based, all of which where there is some creative freedom. I loved working collaboratively and on a personal level with people. These were the briefs which I felt most invested in.


I found the blog very useful in keeping on top of all the briefs which were happening simultaneously, and I also found text playing a large roll in my briefs such as the Q&A Saturday brief. Concerning my Statement of Intent, my final major project reflects these themes of people, research, line work and mark making. The time spent researching gave me the freedom to create a scene which still had relevance to the Indian culture and my own experiences there. Lino was the perfect medium for me to work with as it was very practical and allowed me to really investigate into mark making and manipulating tools and the lino to create the image and shapes I wanted. The last three years have taught me about the power of using media and processes to capture the character or mood of a piece. Through lino cut I have not allowed myself to be a perfectionist with people and objects. I am also using a tool which sometimes is hard to control but this has been a great thing for my practice because with its restraints, lino printing gave me a freedom to explore the process driven mark making and line work.

No comments:

Post a Comment