Monday 2 May 2016

Q&A Saturday: Final Resolution's

Some of my previous blog posts were just using camera shots of my work but I thought it was crucial that I use scans edited then on Photoshop instead of just camera photographs in order to get a good visual quality. I thought that this was especially important as I am presenting these pieces online so the white/negative space quality makes a big difference in having a professional presentation. Below are a few of my final resolutions now that I have spent some time scanning and adjusting them...
This gouache and pen illustration was for Jen and Emma's interview, I wanted the illustration to have the girls working environments behind them so that the influence of their own work and inspiration can be seen in the post. Emma's work is really colourful where as Jen's sticks to a natural and neutral colour scheme, this was really interesting and I wanted to show these differences in my illustration. They both sit next to each other in the image despite the distance in their practices, I am really happy with this illustration as I feel it reflects them well, however I think the way I have drawn Jen's bottom half looks wierd and odd so I would definitely change this in future... I think it is because I should have made her lower half a lot darker. 

This illustration looks 100% better and more professional than the original image I uploaded now that I have scanned it. The original phone image was a bit warped and in a pinky colour. This year I have begun to really appreciate the importance of negative space and having white backgrounds has worked really well for my online briefs such as this one as it makes the muse in the image stand out. Scanning also kept all my details of the pencil drawing which is great because otherwise what is the point in carefully drawing it out?

The original image I used for my blog post was a photograph which I had then digitally added skin tones and colour on with Photoshop. This did not look professional and I am so much happier with this crisper version. I think the illustration itself could be better and I am not sure about the use of pen on the lips (I wanted them to stand out but I don't think the media works) but I like the boldness of the blue and gold together as I think it really reflects Izzy and the vibrancy and youth of her brand.

This is my scanned version of my illustration of Liam Bailey, graphic design student. I like the simplicity in this one but I think it could have reflected his work much more! This is something I would keep in mind for future portraits. I do think it reflects a bit of his personality though (beer in hand haha), The pencil drawing of the hand itself could use some work.

This is my scan of Robyn Shaw, fashion communication student. My original (which I have actually kept on the blog post) wasn't scanned because I was experimenting with putting a light source behind the illustration. I liked this effect but unfortunately the quality of the pencil illustration was not as focused as this one. I decided to fill in the part which had been for light to shine through, with an orange colour... even though Robyn and her work is strictly monochrome! This was because I was inspired by Grace Coddington's use of Orange to reflect her hair, Robyn also has auburn hair so I thought this would be an appropriate colour pop.


This is my finished piece for Aggie! I am happy with the spontaneous line work and ink washes, but I am not very happy with the small details such as the facial features - these were more rushed than I would want so the likeness is less perfect than I would aim for. I like the line work here though and I think I managed to capture the perspective of the room. I used a range of media because I thought this was the best way to reflect Aggie as she uses lots of media and objects in her own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment