Monday 9 May 2016

Recap on Lino Print Tests

Follow the link below to my ISSUU document of my lino print tests from a while ago:

With these previous tests in mind I have been thinking about changes in stock, media and colour palettes which would best suit my final prints.

After talking to tutors Patrick and Fred, I decided to stick to one colour instead of mixing them, which is what I had experimented with in the prints above. They suggested that this mixing could sometimes appear like a weak print rather than a mix of colours, and that one block colour would allow the print to be more focussed on the line work and mark making contrasting against the paper. It makes it all about the quality of the lino cut.

They suggested a good quality off white paper such as heavy water colour paper. I got some of the somerset paper in off white and a slightly browny beige shade. I am thinking about a deep red colour of ink because it really ties into the traditional indian practice of mark making by henna. Also they use henna a lot in day to day life, like for dying hair an orange shade. I think black ink could look quite effective and bold however I don't feel like it is very appropriate for this project as I don't get any hint of India from a black and white colour scheme.

Bright vibrant colours are what most reflect Indian culture, in my opinion, but the tutors suggested some bright colours could make the print look cheap. I will be testing inks with my prints and hopefully a deep block colour will give off the right vibes of India and fit well to the content of the print - giving it an overall high quality aesthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment