Tuesday 3 May 2016

Black and White Photographs with Drawn Colour

I have a large selection of first hand reportage photographs that I want to incorporate into my work so I have been looking at artists like Joe Cruz and how he incorporates photocopied images with vibrant hand drawn colour. 

Joe Cruz


“My main materials are a photocopier and chalk pastels,” he tells us of his process of reappropriating found imagery into the brightly coloured reincarnations. “Over time I source images until I have a number visuals that appeal to me. The work is very much process driven and hands on, and I make creative choices based on feelings and inspirations in that moment.” Particularly drawn to strong women, he says: “I am trying to create a new aesthetic to embrace the feeling of youth in our generation, as well as representing the diversity in race, culture, religion and sexuality. I’m very drawn to portraiture. Visual influences include religious icons, pop art and tribal decorations.”

Source:
http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/26180/1/the-illustrator-putting-beauty-through-a-photocopier-joe-cruz

No comments:

Post a Comment