Tuesday 1 October 2013

Summer Project Extended

My visual ideas sheet for my extended summer project work: 


After feedback from my peers I narrowed it down to two ideas; the personification of alcoholic drinks to portray the personality of those who drink them, for example a WKD bottle representing a 'light weight': 


Or a view into ten different windows, with each one portraying a different aspect of our relationship with alcohol as a nation. My thumbnails for this idea: 


After speaking to Matt I decided to go with the latter idea as it could look more effective as a poster. 

First I came up with ten ideas for scenes involving our nations relationship with alcohol. These included both joyous occasions which evoked positive emotions and some of the more negative effects of alcohol, for example throwing up and getting aggressive. Then I sketched some ideas out for each scene in my sketch book. I chose to have it layed out on the A2 as portrait so that it resembled an apartment building with each scene being framed by a window. 

I found it difficult to decide how to position each image so I used my sketches to visualise what would work best: 


I then started to look at media and process and decided to create a painterly style within the window to create the right ambiance for the scenes. However for the rest of the poster and the frames I decided to leave it simple using only black pen to draw in the windows and a few flower boxes. 
I started working on my poster by first drawing out the 10 images in pencil and then colouring in the scenes using watercolour. I researched images in order to collate a few reference images to help with the positions of the characters and some objects. I finished off the piece by adding some details with a fine black pen. 
We then were instructed to stick up our posters around the studio for peer review. 


(Unfortunately I didn't have time to remove all of the pencil)

My feedback from my poster stated; 

This feedback was really useful as it gave me some insight into what worked and what didn't. From this I can tell that the colour was a strength of the piece but the darker pieces using more black didn't work as effectively. 





No comments:

Post a Comment